Machine Yearning: An Industrial Robotic Arm as a Performance Instrument
- Jeff Snyder, Princeton University
- Ryan Johns, Princeton University / Greyshed
- Charles Avis, Princeton University
- Gene Kogan, Eyebeam
- Axel Kilian, Princeton University
- This paper describes a project undertaken in the Spring of 2014 that sought to create an audio-visual performance using an industrial robotic arm. Some relevant examples of previous robotic art are discussed, and the design challenges posed by the unusual situation are explored. The resulting design solutions for the sound, robotic motion, and video projection mapping involved in the piece are explained, as well as the artistic reasoning behind those solutions. Where applicable, links to open source code developed for the project are provided.
Return to the previous page.